By GreenCompany | July 16, 2009
With the price at the pump always rising, it’s good to know that you can save money on gas by following some easy to follow tips for eco-friendly driving. You don’t simply have to give up your vehicle for a bike or face a long walk or crowded bus just to get to work every day in order to save on gas!
As part of their Autogreen Challenge, the not-for-profit auto club, CAA South Central Ontario is helping Canadian motorists save money and the environment. The Canadian driving public is encouraged to find out just how eco-friendly their driving habits are while gaining a chance to win a new Toyota hybrid vehicle.
So if you want to save gas, money and the environment follow these handy driving tips:
- Try to reduce your highway speed as fuel consumption starts to increase above 90 km/hour for almost all vehicles.
- Avoid those jack rabbit starts and get away from hard braking.
- Avoid idling your vehicle as just 10 seconds of idling will consume more fuel than turning off and restarting your car’s engine.
- Remove any excess weight from your vehicle such as unused roof racks and get rid of those unnecessary items from your trunk space.
- Take public transit, walk or ride your bike to work just one day a week to save money while reducing your overall fuel consumption. Or at least carpool whenever possible!
- Try to plan and combine your various trips.
- Close your windows and sunroof during highway drives
- Always check and properly inflate your tires. You can find the recommended psi number on your driver side door, or directly on the tire itself.
- Have your vehicle serviced regularly. A well-maintained and properly tuned car can decrease fuel consumption by as much as 50 per cent.
For more information you can visit – www.caasco.com/autogreen